Thursday

Guest Post: Reusing Clothes

A big thanks to Sara Parsons (my dear sister) for this guest post.

Ever since I was little, I’ve gotten an extraordinary amount of joy from creating something from something else. I made pianos, cars, guitars and numerous other intricate play things from cardboard boxes and other household “trash”.

This joy has followed me into adulthood. However, I‘ve moved on from cardboard boxes. Today, my favorite repurposing medium is clothes.

This dress was constructed from a long
sleeve tee, a short sleeve tee, a tank top
and an old slip.

In our culture, clothes are a big deal. They aren’t just for covering our bodies or keeping us warm. Clothes are an expression of who we are. The ornamental nature of clothes results in a huge industry and a lot of clothes - a lot of clothes in stores and a lot of clothes in our closets.

All these clothes amount to a lot of waste and can lead to a sad pocket book. And personally, I’m not willing to sink a lot of money for something so transient. Repurposing allows me to enjoy a varied and changing wardrobe without all the waste.

So, let’s talk about the various ways to reuse clothes.

Secondhand

The most basic form of repurposing would be acquiring used clothes through hand-me-downs or consignment. And let me tell you, hand-me-downs aren’t just for kids. Clothes swap parties are becoming quite popular. My group of girl friends always sends around clothes we are cleaning out. You never know what someone may be in the market for. So, don’t assume you don’t have anything someone else would want.

Don’t have friends who are into hand-me-downs? Donate unwanted clothes to charity. But never throw away clothes. Goodwill actually recycles old clothes they can’t sell in their store.

I turned a pull over, hooded sweater into a
hooded cardigan. I added lace detail on the
hood and an applique flower for interest.

Mending

Have that favorite shirt that’s seam has popped? Received a great pair of slacks that are too long? Don’t throw them out or give them away - fix them!

Don’t have a sewing machine? Find a mom, grandmother or friend that does. No friends or relatives with sewing machines? That’s okay! Most basic mending only requires a needle and thread.

If your confidence in sewing is shaky, maybe you could ask that mom, grandmother or friend for a couple of basic lessons or if they can do it for you. But take this from a seamstress - repay them for their time in some way. Chocolate is good, or favor them with a skill you have. But please, don’t take advantage of their skill. Additionally, there are great resources on-line for basic sewing.

The skirt was made out of two sweaters.
I used scrap fabric from other projects to

create the flower applique.

Altering

Sometimes there is a clothing item that you have a love/hate relationship with. Maybe the fabric pattern is to die for but the cut is lousy. Maybe that blouse is the perfect fit but kind of boring. Perhaps that over-sized men’s shirt is just begging to be made into a dress. Okay, maybe that last one is just me. The point is that clothes are full of potential.

My favorite repurposing project was my wedding
dress. I made it from an Edwardian style costume
I had sewn in highschool. It features antique
doilies and laces made by relatives.

Altering clothes can bring you into the exciting world of fashion design. Let’s face it, we all get the urge to get new clothes. But instead of going to the store, ponying up a lot of money and contributing to waste, why not try your hand at making your own clothes through reusing old clothes.

I admit, it takes a bit of creative eye, but it’s immensely fun and I highly recommend you give it a go. Pretty soon you will be seeing clothes like you’ve never seen them before. And it’s so rewarding to have new clothes that you made.

Having a sewing machine and some skill helps, but these things aren’t required. There are lots of no-sew alteration options you can do. The website New Dress A Day is a great resource for inspiration for taking clothes and making them into something else without a lot of fuss.


Sara Parsons loves most things artistic and crafty. And when she isn’t turning sheets into rugs and dresses, you will most likely find her trying out a natural. real food recipe, being a barista, or loving up her husband.