Tuesday

Reuse: Twine Wrapped Bottle Tutorial

One thing I particularly enjoy about reusing items is how you can turn something that would otherwise be thrown away into something that is really cool. I don't consider myself to be super crafty, but I do enjoy great DIY projects.

I admit, I’ve seen ideas for repurposing items that basically look like you’re using trash to decorate or organize your home. I like things to look nice and I prefer to reuse in a way that is in line with that philosophy. So, I’m always keeping an eye out for those unique and creative ways to reuse.

A couple years ago, I saw an idea in a Real Simple magazine that I just had to recreate myself. In the article, they had wrapped various bottles and jars in twine and used them as centerpieces. They looked so simple and elegant. Plus, the ways in which I could create and use these twine wrapped masterpieces were so varied!

And so I give you instructions on how to make your own twine wrapped gems.

What You Need:
  • A clean, empty bottle or jar (I prefer glass because they look nicer.)
  • Twine
  • Craft glue
  • Super glue
  • Scissors

What You Do:

STEP 1: Apply a small, vertical line of super glue toward the top of the bottle. Place the twine on the line of super glue. This will hold the end of your twine in place and allow you to have a clean edge of twine at the top of your bottle. Allow the glue to set.


STEP 2: Apply a ribbon of craft glue along the top section of the bottle and begin to tightly wrap the twine around the bottle.

 
STEP 3: Continue to apply ribbon of glue as you make your way down the bottle. It’s okay if glue seeps through, as it will dry clear and help the twine stay in place. You can wrap the twine as close together or as far apart as you want. Irregularities are okay and add to the look.



STEP 4: Once you reach the bottom of the bottle, cut the twine, leaving a small piece sticking out. Apply super glue to the bottom of the wrapped twine and secure remaining edge of twine to the bottle.


 STEP 5: Use for flowers, decorative branches, as a candle holder and more!

 
Additionally, you can be as creative with these as you want. Use colored rope, add beads, stamp a design on the bottle, etc. to create the look you want!