Thursday

Oooey Gooey Black Bean Bronwnies

We like to eat healthy, but I’ve not really ventured into baking without grains much. Lately, I’ve seen recipes for black bean brownies pop up a few times on blogs I read. Each time I saw the recipe, I thought “I’m not so sure about that.” But I was so curious. The pictures looked amazing and people REALLY liked these brownies.


I decided to take a stab at these black bean brownies and let me say, they weren’t lying when they said they are good. Our family loves them. And since I'm now a black bean brownie believer, I must pass a recipe on myself!

“But wait!,” you say. “Why would I make brownies out of black beans, when I can make normal brownies?” Very good question. The long answer would require another post. The short answer is that grains, especially refined grains like the flour we buy off the grocery store shelf, are difficult for our bodies to digest and are stripped of their nutrients in the refining process. And as you might have noticed, grains are a very prominent part of our diets in Western culture. I’m just trying to find alternatives to a grain heavy diet.

So, let’s get to the brownies!


Black Bean Brownies

2 c. black beans (canned or cooked)
3 eggs
1/3 c. butter, melted
1/8 c. coconut oil, melted
1/2 c. honey or sugar
1/4 c. cocoa powder
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
1/4 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/4 c. crushed walnuts (optional)
1/4 c. shredded coconut (optional)
NOTE: If you use unsalted butter or cooked beans, add 1/8 tsp. salt to the recipe.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Put all ingredients in blender or food processor. Blend until smooth. Grease 8x8 glass baking dish. Pour mixture into dish. Sprinkle chocolate chips, walnuts and shredded coconut on top. Bake for 40-50 minutes, until brownies set in the middle. Remove from oven and enjoy!

We like to chill the brownies in the fridge before eating them, but warm is good too!

Thanks to Tammy's Recipes and 365 Days of Clean Eating for the inspiration!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have seen these around recently, and since I'm now apparently gluten-free (not by choice, but by my body forcing me too...hah) I really want to try these! :) So I have a question on the eating them warm vs. chilled....Do you like to eat "normal" brownies warm or cold? Or is there a reason these are better chilled?

Lara said...

I hope to share more grain-free recipes!

Since they're made out of beans, the texture is not exactly like "normal" brownies. It's not gross or anything, just different. We find chilling them helps them have that traditional brownie texture. (On a side note, I also like regular brownies chilled after they've lost their initial fresh out of the oven wonderfulness.)

Post a Comment